Saturday, June 13, 2009

I'm still here!

I have not written in my blog for a long time because I have been busy trying to get into graduate school. I want to attend the University of Phoenix Mental Health Counseling program. The admissions process involves taking a 6-week portfolio course and if you pass the class they let you into the graduate program. In two more weeks I will know.


I have read a few interesting books lately. I re-read The Anatomy of Peace by the Arbinger institute because it was what I chose for my ward's book club, and I was the reviewer. I had a different perspective on it the second time because I am responsible for more people now because I teach Sunday school children and I want to be a therapist.


I was very eager to find the book, in a different voice by Carol Gilligan. It wasn't in the library! Why? It is such an important book! Anyway I had received a gift card for Christmas so I bought it at Barnes and Noble. I rarely buy books so it is a big deal. But since I own the book, I still haven't finished it. It is a book that revisits studies on human development that had previously focused on men and excluded or downplayed development of women. It points out the difference between men and women in development, moral reasoning, and decision-making processes. I want to study this further in school some day--maybe expand the study.


What else have I read? Hmm... I don't know.


Anyway, not to get all sentimental, since I haven't officially gotten into the program, but I am glad I have made the decision to read a book every week after I graduated from college. Let's see--that was 6 years ago when I graduated--times 52 weeks, that's more than 300 books. I just want to say that I was definitely not ready to go to graduate school back then, I think I am now. I hope, anyway. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment